Emergency Treatment Fund
The HIV Emergency Treatment Fund is a pilot program funded by the HIV Foundation Queensland and managed by Queensland Positive People (QPP). The fund, available until 29 June 2018 will provide emergency funding for HIV related treatment and services to all PLHIV in Queensland, who are experiencing financial hardship after all other avenues of support have been exhausted.
How to apply?
You will need to contact Queensland Positive People (QPP) to discuss your situation.
If you do not wish to go through QPP, please contact the Queensland HIV Public Health Team or you HIV specialist clinician.
This fund does not accept applications from individual PLHIV. QPP, the Queensland HIV Public Health Team or you HIV specialist clinician are required to fill in the application on your behalf.
- A downloadable fact sheet can be found here
- Applications can be completed through an online form
- Applications will be processed in one to two business days.
The fund is available for:
- Medicare eligible PLHIV who are experiencing financial hardship that may cause delay or cessation of treatment such as the inability to pay for co-payments; and
- Medicare ineligible PLHIV who are experiencing financial hardship and unable to access HIV services, and early and ongoing HIV treatment.
Who can apply?
All PLHIV in Queensland are eligible to apply for the Queensland HIV Emergency Treatment Fund.
You will be assessed under the following criteria:
- Medicare eligible PLHIV with a low-income health care card (HCC) experiencing financial stress/crisis resulting in disruption or risk of cessation of treatment: or
- Medicare eligible PLHIV with no health care card experiencing financial stress/crisis resulting in disruption or risk of cessation of treatment: or
- Medicare ineligible PLHIV with no income or income equivalent to but not greater than eligibility for a low-income health care card who are unable to access HIV services and treatments.
What does the fund pay for?
Funds can be accessed for the following HIV related services and treatment:
Medicare eligible PLHIV with/without health care card
- Co-payments for two months HIV treatment
- Reviews every two months will be undertaken to determine ongoing access until June 29 2018.
Medicare ineligible PLHIV
- HIV clinical care
- Up to two clinical consultations
- HIV pathology tests for baseline viral load and CD4 counts and follow up.
- Three months generic medication.
- Reviews every three months will be undertaken to determine ongoing access until 29 June 2018.
Please note: In exceptional circumstances consideration will be given to applications that include costs associated with transport, food and communications (phone credit) to support access to clinical care and HIV treatment and where all other avenues of financial support have been exhausted.
QPP values the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. QPP will only receive de-identified data during the application process. All data is securely stored.
For more information:
Queensland Positive People
07 3013 5555
Queensland HIV Public Health Team
07 3328 9797
Find your nearest HIV/sexual health service at:
Or contact Chris Howard, Life+ Programs Manager
Phone: 07 3013 5555