QPP Webinars in 3 easy steps
- Once you have registered for the webinar event, go to your email and look out for the email from Zoom <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Your registration for webinar [Name of the Event] Confirmation
- For example, “Your registration for webinar 17th Annual General Meeting of Queensland Positive People Inc Confirmation“
- NB: If registrations require approval due to limited places, membership verification, or other factors, you will not receive this email until the registration is approved; this will usually occur within 2 business days.
- Once you receive the email, you will have the link for the webinar as well as the ability to add it to a digital calendar.
- At the time of the webinar, click the link in the email (or calendar event if you have added it to your calendar).
- If you attempt to join the webinar before the start time, you will be advised you are in a waiting room and will be admitted to the webinar shortly.
Webinars are often used for larger meetings, such as the Annual General Meeting, where it would be difficult or impossible to facilitate ‘on the floor’ discussions, however, you will be able to type a message or question through the chat window. The host or administrator will be monitoring the chat and alert the speaker or chair to questions raised.
For more detailed instructions, please see the video or text instructions below:
Below are step by step instructions and information about joining and participating in Zoom Webinars with images
Joining a webinar by invitation link
To join the webinar, click the link that the host provided you or that you received in the confirmation page after you registered. If the host sent a registration confirmation email, the link can also be found there.
Waiting for the host to start the webinar
If the host hasn’t started broadcasting the webinar or is preparing using a practice session, you’ll receive the following message:
If you receive a message showing the date and time of the webinar, check the the date and start time of the webinar including the timezone. Make sure to join when the webinar starts.
As an attendee, you can virtually raise your hand, submit questions in Q&A, and send messages to others.
Audio Settings (only visible if the host hasn’t granted you permission to talk): Change your audio settings. You can also click the upward arrow (^) next to change your speaker.
Unmute/Mute: If the host gives you permission, you can unmute and talk during the webinar. All participants will be able to hear you. If the host allows you to talk, you will receive a notification.
Note: You can still access the audio settings by click on the ^ arrow next to the Unmute/Mute button.
Chat: Open in-meeting chat, allowing you to send chat messages to and send a message to the host, panelists, and attendees (if permitted).
Raise Hand: Raise your hand in the webinar to indicate that you need something from the host. The host may instruct you on how they plan to use this. Many webinar hosts use this feature to know if an attendee has a question and would like to speak out loud.
Question & Answer: Open the Q&A window, allowing you to ask questions to the host and panelists. They can either reply back to you via text in the Q&A window or answer your question live.
To ask a question:
- Type your question into the Q&A box. Click Send.
Note: Check Send Anonymously if you do not want your name attached to your question in the Q&A.
- If the host replies via the Q&A, you will see a reply in the Q&A window.
The host can also answer your question live (out loud). You will see a notification in the Q&A window if the host plans to do this.
As an attendee you can also like or comment on other attendee’s questions. This helps the host or participant identify popular questions, especially in a webinar with many attendees.
- Click the thumbs up icon to like a comment.
Tip: The number beside the icon is the total number of likes the question has received so far.
- Click the red thumbs up icon to unlike a comment.
- Click Comment to write a reply to an existing question.
- Type your comment and click Send.
Your comment will appear beneath the question.
Leave meeting: Click Leave meeting to leave the webinar at any time. If you leave, you can rejoin if the webinar is still in progress, as long as the host has not locked the webinar.